Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Where does Jesus live?

I had an interesting conversation with Avi this afternoon. I picked her up from school and as she was climbing into her car seat, she saw our Sunday School book. She started calling it mommy's Bible, and I didn't have the heart to correct her. And thus the following conversation took place :)

Avi: (gripping the Sunday School book to her chest) This mommy's Bible.
Me: That's right, that's mommy's Bible (again, not having the heart to correct her).
Avi: This Abi's Bible.
Me: No, that's mommy's Bible, but you may look at it (trying to teach her that not everything is hers...not sure it's sinking in).
Avi: This mommy's Bible (maybe it is sinking in)
Me: Avi, who does the Bible teach us about? (fully expecting her to say "I not know")
Avi: Jesus
Me: (extremely surprised and excited about her answer) That's right, the Bible teaches us about Jesus.
Avi: I see Him; I find picture of Jesus.
Me: I'm not sure there is a picture of Jesus in that Bible (thinking maybe I should have told her it wasn't a Bible??)
Avi: (she looks through the book several times) I not find picture, mommy.
Me: Well, I'm sorry sweetie. We'll look for a picture of Jesus when we get home.
Me: Where do you think Jesus lives? (I have no idea why it occurred to me to ask her this question)
Avi: in JACKSON!! (very excited that she knew the answer :)
Me: (trying to control my laughter) Well, I'm not sure he lives in JACKSON! I think maybe he lives in Heaven.
Avi: Yep, heben.
Me: Who else do you think lives in heaven? (thinking she might bust out with God or brother Austin or something like that)
Avi: Ummmm (one of her favorite things to say lately) Japheth (yes, she said Japheth, who is one of Noah's sons, as in Noah and the Ark...my mom taught her Noah's sons names, and she knows all of three of their names: Shem, Ham and Japheth!!)

So, really it was a fun and enlightening conversation on my part to be able to get a glimpse at what goes through my 2 year old's mind. Too funny.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks, Kelli, for sharing these moments. She is so special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is just the sweetest thing in the world. I am so glad you all came to Black Hawk yesterday. Daddy was so happy to see you all and his Avi Grace. It is so sweet how she takes to him. See you this weekend. Give Avi a big kiss from Susu.

    ReplyDelete